Friday, November 09, 2007

Too hilarious for a title

I went to the Whirlpool showroom after I had been cheated by Next Shop -- a multi-brand electronic goods shop. Next had sent me a used and much abused washing machine and refrigerator. So I spoke to Whirlpool and they asked me to get in touch one Mr Muthukumar, who was in-charge of Chennai operations.
I spoke to Mr Muthukumar's subordinate one evening and next morning I reached the showroom.
There were a couple of salesmen at the showroom, but not Mr Muthukumar's subordinate.
I asked one of the salesmen for Mr Muthukumar. He did not speak English, so the other one came to my aid.
"I am here to meet Mr Muthukumar," I said.
"Mr Muthukumar not here," the salesman said.
"What about Mr Maniam (the subordinate)?"
"Out of station. Can we help."
"Yes. I am looking for a fridge and washing machine."
"Yes. Please look."
After inquiring about the price and generally whiling away my time, I asked for Mr Muthukumar again.
"Muthukumar not here, saar."
"Well, where is he."
"Up."
"WHAT?"
"Yes saar. Dead. Expired. No more."
I was shocked. I had spoken to his subordinate on his cellphone just 16 hours back. How tragic, I thought.
"When did it happen?"
"Six months back saar." The salesman had put on a solemn face.
"What? But I spoke to him last night."
Silence.
After 30 seconds. "Then he must be alive saar."
Then turning to the other salesman: "Who is Muthukumar?"

No comments: